Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Reader Interview: DD03 on The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub

It's time for this week's reader interview - focusing on books readers of my blog, livejournal and myspace page consider absolute keepers. If you'd like to participate, you can find all the details here.

Also, if you'd like to read previous interviews, click on the Reader Interviews Part Deux tag at the bottom of this post.

Today's interviewee is DD03!

DDO3 on The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub

a) What's the book about?

A 12 yr old boy discovers that there is another realm in which most people have a "twin" of themselves. He is one of the few who is an individual in both worlds. He learns that his mother, the Queen of B movies, is dying, as well as her counterpart, the Queen, in the other world. He must find the Talisman and bring it back to them in order to heal them...and in essence save the worlds (because there are layers upon layers of them...each a reflection of the other, some more advance, some less so). There is of course an antihero/villain that is trying to get the Talisman as well, so that he can control all the worlds.

b) What do you love most about this story?

The journey and the development of Jack, the 12 yr old boy. He meets so many wonderful and awful characters along the way. Jack is such a courageous character.

c) How many times have you read this book?

Oh, dear. I first read this when I was 14 or 15 yrs old. I kept checking it out from the library, until they finally told me someone else wanted to read it! teehee.I've reread it about every 1.5-2 yrs ever since.= approximately 15 times

d) Who would you recommend it to?

Everyone.It's a coming of age book with some fantasy mixed in. There is no sex, well other than icky men wanting Jack because he's beautiful made...his spirit, his aura. There is love, courage, action, magic of a sort, werewolves (one is his BFF)...it's simply awesome.

e) Anything else you want to add?

One of the lines I've never forgotten is... "fushing feef!! fushing feef!!"It's a spider calling Jack a f***ing thief for getting near the Talisman. Also...I've never been able to eat seafood, besides shrimp and some fish. There was a very vivid scene of a seagull tearing at a clam...and...yeah...so didn't help! Can't stand the sight of someone picking out lobster from the shell!!*shudders*

bugs n hisses,

dd03

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much DD03! I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't know that Stephen King had written a fantasy novel :( I do love books about characters with beautiful souls so I think I will have to add this to my TBR list :)

BTW, I love your avatar! It's simply gorgeous!

DENISE said...

Great job Tish!!!...I am always looking for new things to read and you definitely sparked an interest!!WOOT WOOT!!

Fernrain said...

I was looking online to find "fushing feef!" I knew it was Stephen King but was not sure if it was The Talisman or something else I had read. Yes, that phrase has always stayed with me. I read that book many years ago and have never forgotten that!